Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 5

Taking a few minutes to reflect on the day, and then hitting the sack for my last sleep at Raquette Lake. I'm feeling a little sad. Today was a great day filled with excitement. I was really proud of everyone for completing the ropes courses and zipline. I was surprised to see how many people were willing to go for it and give it a try.

An interesting thought came to my mind today during lunch that I thought about over the day. Several people made jokes about the delicious chicken tender (notice the singular form) that we had for lunch today. The lack of chicken tenders got me thinking about the theme of this week. WHAT IF we only ever had one chicken tender? Suppose the oil stopped flowing and the delivery truck couldn't get through, and we were reduced to eating portions of that size? Would we be able to handle that? Do we have enough local food available to cover the needs of the people if such a situation became a longer term reality? Could we survive without the global food market? Lunch was fine because we had plenty of salad and other things to eat, so no one went hungry. What if there was no salad? How would that change the situation? What if that went on for weeks, or months? This post is by no means a complaint, and I should mention that I was perfectly happy with my chicken tender :-) This was just something that I was thinking about during lunch, and felt was worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment