Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 2

I'm sitting on my bunk at the end of another event filled day. I started off the day with a jump into the cool waters of the lake, which I found to be quite refreshing. We discussed our main text, Adirondack Green. I was happy to discover that the book was the first in a series, so with a little more reading I can find out what happened as the story continues. I went kayaking for the first time and enjoyed that a lot.

One of the things that struck me today was a little sign hanging on the wall of the dining hall. It is a small wooden sign with the quote,

"The earth has music for those who listen."

I really liked that quote, so I wrote it down in my notebook. I did a little digging around online and found that the quote is supposedly by William Shakespeare. I don't take everything I find online as a fact, and I was unable to find a reference to a specific work by Shakespeare. At any rate, the quote is valuable regardless of the author. The earth does have music for those who listen. The problem as I see it, is that most people don't make the time to listen. Our society is too busy caught up in running to and from commitment to commitment to allow for anything else. What is "down time" anyway? Most people don't know anymore.

I spent a little time down by the lake this evening by the campfire... Just listening. I wanted to hear the music. I was only there for a short time before a boat cruised by with a trumpet playing the song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I thought to myself, "Wow, the quote wasn't kidding." :-) I found that moment quite funny. Things started to wind down and everyone else at the campfire headed in to their cabins, but I stayed for a little while longer. In the peace and quiet, the music starts to play. You can hear the breeze blowing, the crickets singing, the loons calling and the quiet waves rocking the dock with a gentle rhythm. It is a comforting song. I've heard some of nature's songs, but lately I've been too busy to listen. Today I'm reminded that the music is playing... But you have to be listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment