Thursday, July 22, 2010

About Myself

I am taking this course because it meets a requirement for my concentration in environmental studies. I love nature and being outdoors, and I thought that this course would one that I would enjoy taking. I changed my concentration to environmental studies last semester because I thought that I would enjoy learning about that topic instead of my previous concentration. The environment is an important topic and it is something that I want to be able to teach my students about.

I wanted to be a teacher because I have a big desire to make a difference in the world by helping people. I spent several years working at a private school as a classroom aide, and I found working with elementary students to be very rewarding. I don’t really care about getting rich and famous. I get a great deal of satisfaction from helping other people, and teaching is a career that I can accomplish that goal.

My first goal is to graduate and find a job that allows me to use the skills I’ve been developing over the last few years. If I end up teaching in a school, I intend to get my Masters degree in Special Education.

I am open to any opportunities that come my way. Teaching is an activity that I enjoy and I do intend to use the skills that I am developing in college in the future. This could be in a classroom, or in another capacity. Last semester I met an educator who works for the Department of Environmental Conservation. I got to talk to her a little bit about the kind of work that she does. The more I thought about it, the more I could see myself doing a similar job. Over the summer, I’ve been exploring what other possibilities exist for a person with a teaching degree outside of a traditional school.

My goal for this course is to learn as much as I can and to collect ideas and information that I can use later in my career. I’m looking forward to good conversations and discussions about the topics we’re learning about.

No comments:

Post a Comment